Dear Colleagues
My apologies for writing to you in English.
Since 2009 I have been conducting an annual survey of RFID use in the library world. Initially this was carried out in the UK only and at the request of the government agency at the time – Museums Libraries and Archives – who wanted to know how many libraries were interested in the technology.
Being fortunate in having friends in the Dutch library world I was aware that the way in which the UK, USA and Australia had gone about introducing the technology was very different to the approach taken by countries like the Netherlands, Denmark and some other European countries. With no advisory or regulatory body to assist, the English-speaking world relied heavily on their suppliers to decide the best way to implement the technology – which has resulted in 100s of proprietary solutions being installed over the past 15 years or more.
The survey sought to persuade the three major English speaking markets to concentrate on the disadvantages of their approach by emphasising the limitations it placed on the development and wider use of RFID. I hoped to contrast experiences in the rest of the world with the domestic market.
But the survey remained essentially parochial as can be seen by the results (published on my website at http://www.libraryrfid.co.uk/surveys.html).
With the advent of NFC-enabled smartphones and tablets I have, over the past year, been seeing considerable interest in extending the use of RFID in the library and I want to document innovations that are taking place – especially in the Dutch market.
So this year I'm enlisting the help of everyone I know to conduct a more comprehensive survey than ever before which means trying to persuade some very busy people - like you - to take 5-10 minutes of your time to answer some questions.
Michel Wesseling suggested I ask the list for help and Aart Nieuwland is also very kindly promoting the link on Twitter. The survey is I'm afraid in English and can be found at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2014RFIDsurvey
The survey has evolved to reflect the situation in the UK, US and ANZ so some of the questions might seem odd or obvious in a Dutch context. I hope you will forgive such irritations.
Thank you very much for your time.
Beste
Mick
+-----------------------------------------------------
| Verzonden via NEDBIB-L
http://nedbib.reuser.biz voor informatie
+-----------------------------------------------------
